Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Chocolate Crackled Cookies



My oven is still broken. :(

Obviously, I didn't make the cookies pictured here all that recently. In fact, these were our Thanksgiving dessert (please don't hang me for treason because we didn't have pie). The recipe cam from an issue of Food and Wine Magazine that mysteriously appeared in our house last month. It was filled with a ton of tasty recipes, but oddly enough the one I'm sharing today was from an advertisement, not part of the feature content.  I am seriously missing my oven, and the ability to make Christmas cookies, so  I'm taking the opportunity to re-experience making these by blogging about them.

Not having an oven around the holidays is a serious bummer. All the adorable cookie recipes on my favorite blogs fill me with envy and ennui. I can't make cookies. I can't give cookies  to my friends. The joy of just-out-of-the-oven baked goodness has been taken from my holiday. IT'S NOT FAIR.

Enough with the melodramatics. The oven repair guy is coming today, so I may be back in cookies by week's end. (fingers crossed).  Hopefully, you have a working oven, and can try these little beauties out yourself. Make a batch for me, okay?

Chocolate Crackled Cookies

Recipe adapted from McCormick

Ingredients:


  • 12 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate, divided
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 2 teaspoons Cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon Chile Pepper (I used Cayenne, but the original recipe calls for Ancho; I suspect Hatch would be fantastic if you can find Hatch chili powder...)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 375°F. 
  2. Melt 8 ounces of the chocolate as directed on package. Set aside. 
  3. Coarsely chop remaining 4 ounces chocolate. 
  4. Mix flour, roasted cinnamon, chili powder, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. 
  5. Cream butter and sugars in large bowl with paddle attachment of electric mixer on medium speed (or with a fork, by hand) until all sugar has been dissolved and the mixture appears light and fluffy. 
  6. Add eggs, vanilla, and melted chocolate; beat until well blended. 
  7. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until dough forms. Stir in chopped chocolate. 
  8. Drop dough by rounded tablespoons or medium cookie scoop 1 1/2 inches apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. 
  9. Bake about 10 minutes or until cookies are set and slightly cracked on top. 
  10. Remove from the oven, then transfer cookies to wire rack. 
  11. Allow cookies to cool cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Enjoy!



Until Next Time,
~Chardonnay

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover